10.17.2008

Moving beyond...


Next Thursday InterVarsity Christian Fellowship in Pinellas is putting on an open mic with a coffeehouse vibe. The idea is that The Night of a Thousand Mics would bring musicians, poets, & spoken word artists to the stage to share their work with the campus at large. I bring this up because this is our attempt to use the arts to say something about how we (IV, Christians...) see the world and offer the same to our non-Christian friends without either side being too overbearing. The visual artists have their place as well. I'm hoping to have a gallery of student (again, IV & non-IV, Christian & non-Christian) work for people to examine; perhaps even a live painting as some of the poets are doing their work.


To augment the work of our spoken word artists and painters there will be a clear and concise gospel presentation mid-evening. We're hoping the night really becomes a mashup of Christians and those trying to figure out who Jesus is. I look forward to hearing a poet's words of searching for truth while looking at someone's photographs of the divine.


If any of you are in the St. Pete area and want to participate, I'd love to add to our diversity so let me know. Leave a comment with your contact info or email me at ivdrod [at] verizon [dot] net. If you just want to come and enjoy the show feel free to come by. We'll be in the open field on 6th Ave. S between 2nd & 3rd St. Bring friends.


PS - If anyone has questions about or ideas for The Night of a Thousand Mics post a comment. I'd love the feedback. Do you think this is viable? Is there a way to make it more pertinent to students and artists?

4 comments:

Maiken said...

I doubt I'll be able to come because I have a small group that night. I hope it goes well though - drawing believers and non-believers alike. I pray truth is found by some that night.

dan rodriguez said...

Thanks for the prayer. I'll probably post some comments on it afterwards. I want to think critically about such things while they're fresh.

sjdembroski said...

Hey how did this go? Was there a large turn out?

dan rodriguez said...

It went ok. Weather was a little wild and partially because of that we had to scrap the gallery. But we managed to have a large canvas for people to paint on, that was fun and went well. The open mic part was so/so. Some good acts, some not so good but that's to be expected at an open mic. People had fun, some new people got plugged into what we're doing & the gospel was presented in a way that hopefully will prompt non-Christians to talk openly about spiritual matters with Christian friends. And there was a pretty good turnout too.