11.18.2008

fun & whimsy

sky is oh so blue
chopper thrums high up above
breeze is cool on face
I was outside my office this afternoon enjoying the weather and on a whim I composed this haiku. I am by no means a poet but I figured, "Why should that stop me?" It was a creative (I would say artistic) exercise just for the fun of it. I'm not publishing it (except here); it made me laugh & expressed how I felt about this fantastic weather and that was enough.
So my question for today is: What is the role of fun & whimsy in art?

3 comments:

Maiken said...

That's a great question. The first thing I thought of is "joy is contagious." Fun & whimsy to me partly extends from joy. When we express joy in our art I believe it can move hearts just as some deep and somber piece.

Serena said...

It's funny, I just finished reading an essay that discussed the use of laughter in film. It started me thinking about situations in which I'd share a laugh with someone, even strangers. I think the use of fun & whimsy in art purposes to share the light feelings, familiar things, common frivolity. My friend Berto is an artist here in Gainesville and a lot of his pieces work with that sense of "fun & whimsy". I think it can be a really powerful tool because of that easy connection, especially in social commentary.

dan rodriguez said...

I'm glad you brought that up Maiken. I had been thinking about the role of joy. Especially for us Christians, I think it communicates something about the nature of our relationship with God and how that affects our relationship to the world.